Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Money: A love/hate relationship.

I have a love/hate relationship with money. I mostly hate it, but I wish we had more if it. How can a person wish they had more of something they hate? Maybe I hate it because we never have enough of it, and because of the arguments it causes in Jerimy's and my relationship. I love to save money though. It's one of my favorite things to do. If we could survive without paying our bills, every cent I have I would put into savings. (By the way, as I'm typing this, I have a bunch of other things I need to be doing, like going to pick up Cohen's nine month pictures, going to the bank, and getting a few things from the grocery. But I'm tired, and it's very cold outside. I'm thinking I might send Jerimy out. Anyway, back to my story...) Savings...ahhhh yes, I love it. I have a college fund set up for Cohen already. Every week a certain amount is directly deposited into his bank account from mine, and when I have extra I deposit that in there as well.

Jerimy is not a great saver. He's not even a good one. His financial skills are majorly lacking which brings me to why I want to take Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class at Grace Tabernacle beginning in a few weeks. I have heard those classes basically change your life. I need to know how to save more money, and Jerimy needs to learn how not to spend it. The only thing thats stopping us from taking the classes this time around is...you guessed it, MONEY! IT costs $100 to join and we don't have the extra money right now...see what I mean by love/hate relationship? We can't afford the classes but yet, we can't afford not to take them either. Plus, the other thing is childcare. The classes meet from 6-8 every thursday night for 13 weeks and we don't have a sitter. The church we are hoping to attend classes at is trying to work something out with child care, which would be awesome! But they are still not 100% sure on how that's going to work out. Also, Jerimy does not have a set schedule right now and I doubt he can guarantee every Thursday night off for the next three months. So maybe this will continue to be a dream of mine until the cards fall into place.

What are we going to have for dinner tonight? That is the question on everyone's mind. Well, not on Cohen's mind, he's napping and he doesn't really think about food that much anymore unless it's his bottle which he loves. I have some hamburger thawing out right now, but what to do with it? I have everything I need to make a beef taco bake, so I wouldn't have to buy anything at the grocery. But we've been having casserole-like dishes for the past few nights and I'm ready for a change. Plus, the one and only casserole dish we have is housing some chicken dish I tried (and failed) to make the other day and if I made the taco bake I would have to clean the casserole dish, and like I said earlier I AM TIRED and lazy right now. I would like to have burgers and fries, but that only lasts us one meal and I am a leftover queen. I like to stretch my dollars as far as they will go and leftovers help me do that. (Jerimy is falling asleep on the couch next to me while he is playing Tiger Woods on his xbox. It's pretty funny.)

Ok well, I guess since both my boys are asleep I should go out and brave the cold weather once again, as if working outside in the 19 degree temp at UPS wasn't enough today, now I have to go out again. I hate going to the grocery for just a few things. I like to have a list, and use my coupons, not wander aimlessly around the store thinking about what would be good for dinner tonight and then checking out without my coupons thinking about all the money I could be saving if I would have planned better. Note to self--become more organized and be a better planner. Jerimy will love that, he thinks I plan things too much as it is. He also says I am no fun and I've turned into an old lady since I became a mom. Which is probably true. But when you have no money to go out, and no one to watch your child, the only other option is to sit at home. But that's another blog subject for another time when I'm trying to procrastinate for another task.

No comments: